The National Chairman of the African Democratic Congress (ADC), Sen. David Mark, has accused Nigeria’s electoral body of undermining democracy, warning that recent developments threaten the country’s multi-party system and could pave the way for a one-party state.
Addressing a world press conference on Thursday titled “This Attack on Democracy Will Not Stand,” Mark alleged that the administration of Bola Ahmed Tinubu has presided over a steady erosion of democratic freedoms, including the rights to political participation, association, and choice.
He claimed that actions taken by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on April 1, particularly the withdrawal of recognition of the ADC’s leadership amount to a direct assault on democracy and a violation of a subsisting court order.
According to Mark, the controversy stems from a leadership dispute within the party, which he insists had already been resolved through due process. He explained that a National Executive Committee (NEC) meeting held on July 29, 2025, and monitored by INEC, dissolved the party’s former National Working Committee and installed a caretaker leadership led by himself as chairman and Rauf Aregbesola as secretary.
He noted that the decisions of the NEC were duly communicated to INEC, which subsequently updated its records to reflect the new leadership. Mark further argued that a former party official, Nafiu Bala, who is contesting the leadership, had earlier resigned his position prior to initiating legal action.
The ADC chairman accused INEC of misinterpreting the Court of Appeal’s directive to maintain the status quo ante bellum, alleging that the commission instead “invented a status quo that never existed,” thereby leaving the party without a recognized leadership.
“This action clearly shows that the electoral umpire has taken sides and can no longer be trusted,” Mark said, adding that the commission’s conduct amounts to contempt of court.
He further alleged that the ruling party is attempting to weaken opposition forces ahead of the 2027 general elections, warning that such moves could destabilize Nigeria’s democratic system.
Describing the ADC as “the last viable opposition platform,” Mark said the party would resist any attempt to dismantle it, insisting that there are no legitimate competing claims to its leadership.
He also raised concerns about the potential impact of INEC’s decision on upcoming political activities, including governorship elections in Osun and Ekiti states, as well as the party’s scheduled congresses and convention in April.
Mark called for the immediate resignation or removal of the INEC Chairman and national commissioners, citing a loss of confidence in their ability to conduct credible elections.
“We demand their resignation or sack. Nigerians can no longer trust them with the integrity of the electoral process,” he declared.
He urged Nigerians and the international community to remain vigilant, describing the situation as a defining moment for the country’s democracy.
“We call on Nigerians to defend democracy, resist any attempt to impose a one-party state, and ensure that Nigeria remains a nation where the will of the people prevails,” Mark said.
Despite the dispute, the ADC chairman affirmed that the party would proceed with its planned activities, stressing that INEC’s presence is not a legal requirement for such internal processes.