The Nasarawa State Government has dismissed reports alleging that it spent N707 million on refreshments and meals while neglecting rural water provision, describing the claims as misleading and unfounded.
In a statement issued by the Senior Special Assistant to the Governor on Public Affairs, Hon. Peter Ahemba, and dated January 26, 2026, the government said the allegation, published by an online platform, wrongly presented aggregated expenditures as a single discretionary expense on refreshments.
According to the government, the cited N707 million represents cumulative spending across several Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) over a nine-month period.
The statement explained that the expenditures covered statutory and operational activities including meetings, trainings, workshops, security operations and programme implementation, and not refreshments alone as portrayed.
Reacting to claims that rural water access had been neglected, the government described the allegation as inaccurate, noting that significant investments have been made in water infrastructure across the state under the administration of Governor Abdullahi A. Sule.
The government said that since 2019, wide-ranging reforms and interventions have been implemented through the State Water Supply and Sanitation Agency (NASWASSA), the Ministry of Water Resources, the State Water Board and development partners. These efforts followed the establishment of a Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Taskforce and the enactment of enabling legislation in the sector.
According to the statement, major rehabilitation and upgrade works have been carried out in Doma, Keana, Awe, Lafia, Nasarawa Eggon, Keffi, Karu and other towns. The projects reportedly include grid connections, pump replacements, dredging, borehole rehabilitation, plant renovations and the procurement of operational equipment, costing billions of naira.
The government maintained that these interventions, spread across rural and urban communities, contradict any suggestion of neglect in water provision, urging the public to disregard what it termed a malicious publication.
It further reiterated that investments in education, healthcare, water supply and rural development form part of a broader strategy aimed at promoting sustainable development and improving the welfare of residents.
The administration reaffirmed its commitment to prudent financial management, accountability and the prioritisation of essential services, while welcoming informed public scrutiny of government expenditures. It also urged media organisations to verify facts before publication to avoid misleading the public.