Anxiety as Nigerians set for National Poll this Saturday 

There is palpable anxiety as Nigerian  citizens get set to elect their national leaders this Saturday amidst scarcity of money and fuel in the country.

The Independent National Electoral Commissioner INEC has scheduled Saturday 25 February, 2023 to conduct  the National election and Saturday 11 March, 2023 for the Governorship and State House of Assemblies.

As the elections draw near, the nation is facing hard times with fuel and naira scarcity, occasioned by the naira redesign policy introduced by the Federal Government of Nigeria last year.

Already, there are fears and uncertainties due to the high-tension in the country over the naira scarcity that had led to  some protests and burning of some commercial banks. Also  many Nigerians fear that if the hardship or protest persist, it might lead to either coup or an interim government.

While other Nigerians especially those that need to travel for the election are complaining bitterly over the untold hardship being experienced as a result of the scarcity of the major commodities, some said it’s a grand plan to disenfranchise many electorates as the possibility of them traveling is bleak.

Some of the electorates were unable to access their Permanent Voters Cards, PVC during the distribution, which automatically deprived them of voting rights.

An electorate, Mr. Alamba Madu from Plateau State, described as unfortunate how he and many others were unable to access their PVCs from the Independent National Electoral Commission INEC.

He said after successful transfer of his polling unit to the new area he is residing, he was unable to access the card after several efforts both at the ward and local government office of the commission to get his new card, he was told that his card was not ready to the closing date of collection of the PVCs.

“I was not the only one, we were many, most of us who did transfer or updated our informations. And I’m not happy because it was very clear that INEC never wanted me to vote, since no explanation was given to me on why my card was not ready, despite information on their data showing that my transfer was successful” he said.

He appealed to those who were able to get their PVCs to come out and exercise their franchise by voting their choice that will give Nigeria a better future than what the country is having today. And that INEC should be sincere in all the processes in order to get it right this time.

Another citizen, Mrs. Funke Janet Ogunlade from Jos, Plateau State while calling for calm among the citizens,  advised that they take their anger to the Ballot on Saturday instead of causing any confusion.

She said the electorates should not give room to the divide and rule syndrome of the politicians that are using religion and ethnicity to stir crisis for their selfish interest. She reminded them that the power of the ballot is stronger than the bullet hence, they should use it wisely.

On his part, a traditional ruler from Nasarawa State, the Village head of Madagwan Hausawa, in Lafia local government area, Alh. Idris Mohammed Idris appealed to the politicians to allow for a smooth poll and easy transmission of power come May 29, 2023.

The traditional ruler while calling on the electorates to come out and decide who will lead them through the ballot, he cautioned them against any act that is inimical to the tenets of democracy.

He also appealed to security agencies to be neutral and conduct themselves professionally. He asked the electoral body, INEC to keep to their promises of conducting a free, fair and credible elections.

Meanwhile, political analysts are already predicting a run off election for the presidential election as they doubt if any of the major candidates can pull the 51% votes or more to be declared winner.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *