The Nasarawa State Government says it is targeting at least 1.5 million children for immunisation in an upcoming polio outbreak response campaign scheduled to begin on March 28.
Dr Usman Saleh, Executive Secretary, Nasarawa State Primary Healthcare Development Agency (NAPHDA), disclosed this on Thursday in Lafia during a media dialogue on the campaign.
Saleh, represented by Mr Muhammad Ibrahim, Director, Health Education and Social Mobilisation at the agency, said the campaign would run from March 28 to March 31 across the state.
He said the engagement with the media was critical to ensure widespread awareness and participation.
“From our experience in Nasarawa State, the media has played a vital role in mobilising communities and caregivers to access this opportunity.
“Our target is to reach at least 1.5 million eligible children, and achieving this requires disseminating accurate and timely information to all segments of society,” he said.
According to him, the agency has intensified collaboration with key stakeholders, including religious leaders, school authorities, local government officials and traditional rulers, to ensure the success of the exercise.
“We have held engagements with religious leaders and school authorities, where about 80 per cent of the target population can be reached.
“We are also engaging local government chairmen, their deputies and district heads across the 147 wards in the state,” he said.
Also speaking, Dr Ahmed Tsofo, Health Specialist on Immunisation with UNICEF Kaduna Field Office, said the campaign was aimed at preventing the spread of polio among children aged zero to 59 months.
He described polio as a highly infectious viral disease that could cause permanent disability or death, stressing that vaccination remained the most effective prevention method.
“The disease spreads through contaminated food and water, and poor sanitation contributes significantly to its persistence.
“If one child is infected, about 200 other children are at risk. That is why it is important that no child is missed during vaccination,” he said.
Tsofo attributed the continued circulation of the virus to gaps in immunisation coverage and poor hygiene practices, including open defecation and environmental contamination.
He said that the outbreak response campaign was part of global efforts to eradicate polio, noting that Nigeria, alongside Afghanistan and Pakistan, remained affected by the virus.
The UNICEF official urged the media to intensify public enlightenment, counter misinformation and encourage caregivers to present their children for vaccination.
“The media should educate the public on the benefits and safety of the vaccine, and also publicise the campaign to ensure maximum participation,” he said.
In her remarks, Dr Bosede Ezekwesili, representative of the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Nasarawa State, said the campaign would adopt a house-to-house, school and worship centre strategy to reach all eligible children.
She said the response was necessitated by the detection of circulating vaccine-derived polio virus in two children in the state in late 2025.
“This indicates that the virus is still circulating and poses a risk to children, hence the need for this campaign across all local government areas,” she said.
Ezekwesili explained that a surveillance system involving health officials and community informants had been strengthened to detect and respond promptly to suspected cases.
She urged parents and caregivers to ensure their children were vaccinated, noting that the oral polio vaccine used in campaigns was safe and effective.
Also, Dr Kalu Idika, a Media Consultant, emphasised the role of the media in polio eradication, describing journalists as trusted voices in disseminating accurate information and dispelling myths.
He added that the media also influenced policymakers and public health behaviour, urging practitioners to sustain advocacy for immunisation uptake.
The stakeholders unanimously called for collective efforts to ensure no child was missed during the campaign. (NAN)