By Timothy Alamba

Stakeholders and King makers from Bashar have refuted the allegations of irregularities in the selection process that led to the emergence of Alhaji Abubakar Idris as the new Rekna of Bashar Chiefdom.
The spokesman of the group and the Chairman BACODA, Dr. Zakari Mohammed yesterday in a press conference at the NUJ Press Centre in Jos where he addressed news men on allegations of irregularities in the selection process of the new Rekna of Bashar raised by Shehu Mujahid Abubakar and his group in a press conference earlier this week.
He said it has become necessary for them to correct the misrepresentations and inaccuracies peddled at the said press conference for the purpose of putting the record straight for the present and the future.
According to him the selection of Alhaji Abdullahi Idris on December 23, 2022, was made by the kingmakers following the death of the former Rekna of Bashar, Alhaji Adamu Idris, on September 24, 2022. He said everything was done in line with customs of Bashar people and the new Rekna who is a member of the ruling House of Bashar Chiefdom was duly selected by the King makers through a proper selection process.

The stakeholders emphasized that no challenges or lawsuits have been filed against the selection and appointment of Alhaji Abdullahi Idris, adding that the selection date of a new Rekna for Bashar Chiefdom was never postponed as against what was said in the July 8, press conference by Abubakar.
“… It is inconceivable that the press conference of 8th July, 2024 complained of a committee visit on 26th November 2022, to Bashar town to brief the Kingmakers on the selection process as an irregularity. How do the Petitioners expect the Committee to conduct a selection process, without having interaction with the Kingmakers to brief them on the procedure or the rules of engagement for the selection exercise?” The Stakeholders queried.
Dr. Mohammed said they have had the opportunity to interact with the Kingmakers to the stool of the Rekna of Bashar, and the assertion that the Chairman of Wase Local Government Area, Dr. Ado Abubakar Buba bypassed protocol by inviting the kingmakers, is clearly not correct.
“Their claim that the Kingmakers were put under pressure by the former Chairman is unsubstantiated. None of the kingmakers who participated in the selection exercise, and voted has challenged the selection.” He added.
On allegation of manipulation of date for the selection exercise by the former Wase Council Chairman from the 2nd to the 13th of December 2022, Dr. Mohammed said they have it on good record that the selection exercise that took place on the 23rd December 2022, was not postponed to that date due to any interference by the former Chairman of the Local Government Council.

Besides, none of the Kingmakers who were entitled to complain ever complained of any alleged manipulation. And the purported stakeholders did not state how the Chairman interfered with the selection process.
While reacting to the allegations of abduction of four out of the five kingmakers by the former local government chairman of Wase, Zakari said apart from the fact that there is not justifiable basis for the allegation, it is a criminal offence which is clearly defamatory of Alhaji Ado Buba.
He called on the security agencies to swing into action and investigate the allegation with a view to prosecuting the authors of the press statement.
The King makers who were said to have been abducted during the selection process were present at the press conference. They all confirmed that they were not abducted. Alhaji Adamu Ibrahim, the Kuyambanan Bashar spoke on behalf of the others.